pinecone koi and treatment

Emergency aid for sick fish and sick ponds.
kdh

Re: pinecone koi and treatment

Postby kdh » January 6th, 2017, 10:06 am

Just my experiences with clove oil. It is temperature dependent. Colder water requires more oil of clove. I have no idea what 3/4 oil of clove treatment means as the number of drops varies from different articles on usage amounts. If you have a koi that is very sick, you reduce the amount of OC as it takes less to knock it out and allows for better recovery. This also can be an indicator of how sick your koi is based on how long it takes for koi to recover and go under. You can always add more so should not start with strong dosages with weak koi. If your koi dies under OC than it was going to die anyways or dosage was too much for the condition koi was in. Or koi was left in OC for too long based on condition of koi. I have found that OC application can vary depending on koi and condition of koi. But the general rule usually works. There have been articles that the koi (should) be moved in the water to wash out OC or use air stone. If you do not have an air stone, and/or you are not comfortable ving koi in the water. Than just let the koi go to the bottom of pond. As long as the gills are moving the koi well recover. If the gills are not than more steps are required for recovery.
I have only used ms222 a couple of times and feel it is much better than OC. JMO

rufretic

Postby rufretic » January 6th, 2017, 11:40 am

Great info kdh! That would very much make sense with my experience. This is the first I've heard of it but the koi I lost was already pretty far gone with deep ulcers in multiple places. Had I of known this info at that time, I would not have tried to put him all the way under and possibly could of saved him because he was already showing improvement from the previous 2 shots. Since he was so hard to recover the first two times, I knew I was taking a risk putting him under for the last shot but I figured the benefit was worth the risk because he surely would of died without the antibiotics. After losing him I did lower the dose for the rest of the treatments and learned that they don't need to be completely sedated to give the injection. It was still well worth the learning experience because for one, I saved 3 of my favorite koi and two, I learned that each situation is different so sometimes it is ok to adjust the dosing based on how the fish reacts to it. Now I know to adjust the dosage right from the start on very sick koi. Thank you for sharing that.

Getting back on topic, how is your koi doing Kevin?

sschult

Postby sschult » January 6th, 2017, 4:16 pm

Am glad it worked out for the koi good job
At some point common sense must prevail.

kdh

Postby kdh » January 6th, 2017, 4:27 pm

kevin32 wrote:for some reason recent pic is to large to load I don't get it same as other pics. the fish has lifted scales first pic. now it has slight redness spread out and the belly seems a little soft from infection

Yep you need to do injections. Red is not a good thing. Best of Luck

kdh

Postby kdh » January 8th, 2017, 10:32 am

kevin32 wrote:fish is still hanging in there. little ammonia showing but still considered safe on the alert card.

pics

rufretic

Postby rufretic » January 8th, 2017, 5:17 pm

It's too bad you didn't get around to giving it the antibiotics yesterday, sounded like it was showing improvements but now that the ulcers are starting let's hope that mistake doesn't make the difference on if it pulls through or not.

Billy Pounds

Postby Billy Pounds » January 8th, 2017, 5:35 pm

kevin32 wrote:
ricshaw wrote:It has been my experience that there is no treatment.

hmm lets see. I will take pics and show the progress. Probably the hardest thing to cure other than maybe hole in the head disease etc. but certainly possible. the fish was near dead. the kidneys etc.. have suffered though so who knows from here. I'm just posting what I'm dping and let's see if it works.

I recently turned a friend onto metronidazole because he was losing rainbows in his 185 to HLLE or HITH disease..he was shotgunning all to be damned.....got him to do a half tank change and treat with meds...treated twice in a week...never lost anymore...treats costia and hexamita....secondary infections require other meds

rufretic

Postby rufretic » January 8th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Billy Pounds wrote:
kevin32 wrote:
ricshaw wrote:It has been my experience that there is no treatment.

hmm lets see. I will take pics and show the progress. Probably the hardest thing to cure other than maybe hole in the head disease etc. but certainly possible. the fish was near dead. the kidneys etc.. have suffered though so who knows from here. I'm just posting what I'm dping and let's see if it works.

I recently turned a friend onto metronidazole because he was losing rainbows in his 185 to HLLE or HITH disease..he was shotgunning all to be damned.....got him to do a half tank change and treat with meds...treated twice in a week...never lost anymore...treats costia and hexamita....secondary infections require other meds

That's the go to med for tropheus. It's all I've ever had to use with my colonys, tropheus tend to have issues with bloat which I believe is usually an internal bacterial infection. It works best if soaked into food and ingested. It would be extremely expensive to treat large amounts of water. It has always worked great for me with tropheus but I never thought of trying it with koi. I guess because I only had one koi bloat on me and it died so quickly I never had a chance to treat with anything. I always have it on hand for my cichlids, might have to look into it more if I ever had this kind of sickness with koi. Interesting fact, it's also used for humans. It is an excellent medication and very safe if used correctly.

rufretic

Postby rufretic » January 8th, 2017, 6:00 pm

kevin32 wrote:so great i Saved the fish and totally screwed up. I should have injected and added elbergin. good learning experience. fish is doing ok.. TooI forever to recover from clove oil this time. 2 stones under the mouth and gills

At least your trying. One day late on the injection is definitely not the worst thing you could of done. Good luck with him, I'm rooting for you.

rufretic

Postby rufretic » January 8th, 2017, 8:16 pm

My files were too large at first as well, you just need to go into any kind of photo editor and downsize them.

Return to “Emergency & Health Issues”