Ojiya/Hiroshima/Isawa Bound PSKoi - Spring 2018

This area is designed to document all trips to Japan.
Euryth

Re: Ojiya/Hiroshima/Isawa Bound PSKoi - Spring 2018

Postby Euryth » May 2nd, 2018, 6:31 pm

Marilyn wrote:There will be a Takigawa in my future but I'm hoping to do that on a trip to Japan. Takigawa-san is a magical breeder to visit and the icing on the cake for me would be to select one there. Don't tell Russ, lol.

My indulgence was one of the Matsue. I love his koi.

Not entirely sure if you'd be interested in doing this, but sometimes I wonder what goes into our more experienced members' selection processes when they're buying koi & think it would be very helpful if there was a walk-through on why Tosai/Nisai #X was chosen in particular! :-b

Marilyn

Postby Marilyn » May 2nd, 2018, 6:41 pm

Oh boy, I hate to admit it but my gut still guides my purchases. My first impression of a koi solidly colors my decision making. This is usually a lot conformation, quality and skin.
I then go back and try and talk myself out of the koi by looking for potential faults. How is the conformation? The Beni quality? Any weak areas? On tosai, I will gamble on a little weakness if I think it is a part of pattern development. If there is video, I watch how it swims. Does it have presence and look strong? Do I still like the Beni and how the koi moves?

Then you pm the dealer and say mark it sold. :-BD

Russell Peters
Site Admin

Postby Russell Peters » May 2nd, 2018, 7:37 pm

Euryth wrote:
Marilyn wrote:There will be a Takigawa in my future but I'm hoping to do that on a trip to Japan. Takigawa-san is a magical breeder to visit and the icing on the cake for me would be to select one there. Don't tell Russ, lol.

My indulgence was one of the Matsue. I love his koi.

Not entirely sure if you'd be interested in doing this, but sometimes I wonder what goes into our more experienced members' selection processes when they're buying koi & think it would be very helpful if there was a walk-through on why Tosai/Nisai #X was chosen in particular! :-b

Mos of the more experienced hobbyists I help go on conformation, quality and pattern. I think understanding confirmation is the most important factor in choosing at any size. Depending on what your intentions are quality and pattern can be interchangeable as long as neither is sacrificed entirely.
Dealer & US Agent for INC
www.pskoi.com
https://www.facebook.com/russell.peters.984
MATSUNOSUKE GIN

Return to “Japan Buying Trips”