Pink or not Pink

Area for members to share ideas and information.
PinkRules

Re: Pink or not Pink

Postby PinkRules » February 14th, 2018, 4:57 am

Keep in mind that pink beni does not automatically mean high quality beni.

KurtG

Postby KurtG » February 14th, 2018, 5:04 am

PinkRules wrote:Keep in mind that pink beni does not automatically mean high quality beni.

I thought you had to have a certain beni and skin quality to get the translucency. Are you saying pink is as prone to breakdown as the others?

I still plan to get one at some point to be able to learn and compare.

Russell Peters
Site Admin

Postby Russell Peters » February 14th, 2018, 5:39 am

KurtG wrote:
PinkRules wrote:Keep in mind that pink beni does not automatically mean high quality beni.

I thought you had to have a certain beni and skin quality to get the translucency. Are you saying pink is as prone to breakdown as the others?

I still plan to get one at some point to be able to learn and compare.

Yes, there is good quality "pink" and lesser quality. All Beni can break down though, even high quality.
Dealer & US Agent for INC
www.pskoi.com
https://www.facebook.com/russell.peters.984
MATSUNOSUKE GIN

Euryth

Postby Euryth » February 14th, 2018, 9:31 am

Russell Peters wrote:Yes, there is good quality "pink" and lesser quality. All Beni can break down though, even high quality.

I was going to ask a question about this at some point in this conversation! In my head, I wasn't sure that I had made the distinction between pink as a "quality" of beni versus a "type" of beni. With Russ's explanation, there can still be hard or soft pink beni right?

I'm assuming it's totally possible for koi to have elastic pink beni with flat or decent skin? Also, is it safe to say that a certain "type" of shiroji is mostly always present with pink beni, but skin & beni qualities may vary?

Marilyn

Postby Marilyn » February 14th, 2018, 10:00 am

All different beni tones can be higher or lower quality.

Here is a thread that happened on Koiphen a while ago. It might have some helpful information.

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?153758-Is-this-pink-beni

Marilyn

Postby Marilyn » February 14th, 2018, 10:02 am

One of the more useful terms is is the translucence of pink beni. My first year in the hobby I was fortunate to hear am American judge of Japanese descent describe it. He said to look for beni that looks like a stained glass window.

Euryth

Postby Euryth » February 14th, 2018, 11:21 am

Marilyn wrote: Here is a thread that happened on Koiphen a while ago. It might have some helpful information

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?153758-Is-this-pink-beni

I definitely remember this thread lol, very informative & entertaining :YMAPPLAUSE: I've searched koiphen and read as many posts from Russ as I could on the topic, but still struggled with identifying the tells or signs. Especially in Tosai.

Return to “Members Area”