Preparing your koi for a koi show

Area for members to share ideas and information.
Skibrady

Preparing your koi for a koi show

Postby Skibrady » March 16th, 2017, 5:22 pm

Well, it is time to start thinking about the koi shows I am going to. Last year I started feeding color enhancers for the beni and shiroji. My beni was good but I did not time the white enhancers right. What do you guys do to prep your koi for their shows? If you can please give time frames in weeks or months on what you do. I am trying to figure out what I did wrong last year.

Here was my time frame last year for my Gosanke
6 weeks out: 50% beni enhancer, 50% growth
3.5 weeks out: 33% beni enhancer, 33 white enhancer, 33% growth
5 days out: fast

Thanks
Brady

Marilyn

Re: Preparing your koi for a koi show

Postby Marilyn » March 17th, 2017, 11:33 am

We are in SoCal for the wonderful ZNA show. I will share some of the techniques I've used and others I've heard of being used but it may not be until we get home on Monday. For all that there are some good things to do, the bottom line is good genetics.

Russell Peters
Site Admin

Postby Russell Peters » March 20th, 2017, 8:33 pm

:d I just bag them and take them to the show.
Dealer & US Agent for INC
www.pskoi.com
https://www.facebook.com/russell.peters.984
MATSUNOSUKE GIN

sactownkoi

Postby sactownkoi » March 26th, 2017, 9:06 am

Russell Peters wrote::d I just bag them and take them to the show.

You know me so well Russ :-J

Marilyn

Postby Marilyn » March 26th, 2017, 10:50 am

Brady, my apologies for the delay. We've been busy since the show and we have another show coming this next weekend.

As I've mentioned before, my show prep has run the gamut from intense to what Russ and Dennis mention, fasting for a week and bagging. Genetics truly are the decider for overall quality but there can be some things that might enhance the quality of a potential show koi.

There was a food on the market years ago made by EA. They had one called Health and one called Show and frankly, I had the very best results with the Health formula. Sadly, it is no longer available but I remember some of the ingredients, one of which was Chitin. EA made a big deal of the importance of it in the diet and my fish never looked as good as when I was using that food.

The best my koi looked for a show was when I made a paste food with the EA Health. I ground up the food, added about a tablespoon of clay to the mix, some powdered VitC and VitE and enough water to make small balls of it to feed to the koi. Sometimes I would also add a probiotic powder. I did this daily for a good 2-3 months before the show. I then fasted them for a week.
For the month before the show, I made sure to be doing lots of filter cleanings and water changes. I had a Nexus 300 and a bead filter and especially the last two weeks, I cleaned them on alternating days. I was also adding koi clay to the water at 1.5-2x the recommended dose. Note, for those with rdf's, adding clay to the water can be challenging because an rdf will be able to remove it from the water column.

Now that EA is unavailable, I have tried to do the same paste type food with Saki HIkari. It works and I like the food but as I mentioned, the EA was exceptional. To add the Chitin into the paste food, look for a vitamin supplement called Chitosan. A koi food will have the nutrients they need and the additives I've mentioned are purely supplements. It does not take much to make a difference.
Last edited by Marilyn on March 26th, 2017, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevin32

Postby kevin32 » March 26th, 2017, 12:50 pm

great tips Marilyn. I like adding heavy doses of clay when I can remember so. Maybe once I get the rdf up and running i will make the paste with saki and koi clay. I have used the paste before and the fish loved it. I just forgot to do it or im to lazy.
homey dont play that!

Marilyn

Postby Marilyn » March 26th, 2017, 8:14 pm

Glad you got something out of it!

Btw, I did have good luck with silkworm and I use it at about 20% of the total volume of food and only during temps from say 70-78 degrees.
Also, the best success I had with grinding the food was using a coffee grinder. It takes longer but provides a better result than using something like a Cuisinart, IME.

Russell Peters
Site Admin

Postby Russell Peters » March 27th, 2017, 8:30 am

Just make sure you clean out your grinder before you do coffee.
Dealer & US Agent for INC
www.pskoi.com
https://www.facebook.com/russell.peters.984
MATSUNOSUKE GIN

kevin32

Postby kevin32 » March 27th, 2017, 9:02 am

Marilyn wrote:Glad you got something out of it!

Btw, I did have good luck with silkworm and I use it at about 20% of the total volume of food and only during temps from say 70-78 degrees.
Also, the best success I had with grinding the food was using a coffee grinder. It takes longer but provides a better result than using something like a Cuisinart, IME.

funny I was just going to make a thread about silkworm. you didn't read my mind did you =))
homey dont play that!

Marilyn

Postby Marilyn » March 27th, 2017, 9:28 am

Russell Peters wrote:Just make sure you clean out your grinder before you do coffee.

That's why I have two. The white one is for koi food, the black one is for coffee. ;)

kevin32 wrote:funny I was just going to make a thread about silkworm. you didn't read my mind did you =))

You mentioned silkworm in a previous post and I realized I had not added it in my first post so I addressed it. b-)

Return to “Members Area”