Taniguchi Sanke

This is a forum where you can have your Koi judged
Marilyn

Taniguchi Sanke

Postby Marilyn » February 7th, 2018, 10:49 am

With all the little squirt Taniguchi Sanke being posted, I thought it might be fun to do a thread on a Taniguchi Sanke I picked up as tosai back in April 2015. That was my first time in Japan and it was a wonderful trip.

Just to fill you in on my thought process on this selection, the first thing that stood out to me on her was her skin quality. The next thing was the tone of her beni. It was a tone I wasn't used to seeing on Taniguchi koi and it did remind me of a variation of the Pink Beni I was more experienced with on Matsunosuke koi. Almost all the other tosai had more sumi showing but I felt it was worth seeing if her sumi would come up as she matured.

Overall, there were things that I didn't quite understand on her which made it a great investment for me. I like stepping out of my comfort zone with some of my purchases.

Tosai
Attachments
DSC_0056_55Koi copy.JPG
DSC_0056_55Koi copy.JPG (128.92 KiB) Viewed 1430 times

Marilyn

Re: Taniguchi Sanke

Postby Marilyn » February 7th, 2018, 10:52 am

Here she is with a number of the other koi Russ purchased the following year.
Most of them got a good jump on her in the size department.

Nisai
Attachments
SSC_0183_177Koi copy.JPG
SSC_0183_177Koi copy.JPG (227.68 KiB) Viewed 1429 times

Marilyn

Postby Marilyn » February 7th, 2018, 10:53 am

This is her the next year season. Things were starting to come together on her.
Attachments
Taniguchi Sanke Sansai copy.jpg
Taniguchi Sanke Sansai copy.jpg (547.43 KiB) Viewed 1429 times

Marilyn

Postby Marilyn » February 7th, 2018, 10:57 am

And this is how she is today, winter 2018. She remains a little on the smaller side and is 26". What I am excited about is that everything is holding well and the sumi is truly beginning to emerge. Her frame will support more growth and she will remain with Taniguchi to get more size.
You can see the flecks of guanine in her scales.
Attachments
DPP_107 copy.jpg
DPP_107 copy.jpg (530.03 KiB) Viewed 1428 times

Marilyn

Postby Marilyn » February 7th, 2018, 11:02 am

And for reference, having seen pics of this koi and had a lengthy discussion about her at a koi show with one of my favorite American judges, this is a picture of a Dainichi Showa named Daikon. Yep, after the radish. :d
This image definitely was a deciding factor in my selection of this tosai. The head shape was decidedly different for my selections but I am pleased to have stepped out of the box on the selection.

I have no illusions that my Sanke is on par with this one but as I said, Daikon was one of the reasons I thought I would make my purchase.
Attachments
daikon Dainichi.jpg
daikon Dainichi.jpg (112.59 KiB) Viewed 1427 times

KurtG

Postby KurtG » February 7th, 2018, 11:08 am

Thanks Marilyn, these progress look and learn threads are always very insightful. I really like this Sanke and everything seems to be moving in the right direction with her.

inazuma28

Postby inazuma28 » February 7th, 2018, 11:21 am

Thank you Marilyn. Awesome progress and description. What i love most about this fish besides the obvious (skin/body/pattern) is that she had an UGLY DUCKLING PHASE. Man was she an ugly little nisai lol. She did blossom though. It goes to show that with time things do improve with good fish.

Russell Peters
Site Admin

Postby Russell Peters » February 7th, 2018, 11:24 am

What I want people to notice is how yellow the skin was at Tosai. If you know what you are looking at you learn that this is not a bad thing. I have posted before that it is a sign of high quality skin but most think it is bad or a a male.
Dealer & US Agent for INC
www.pskoi.com
https://www.facebook.com/russell.peters.984
MATSUNOSUKE GIN

SeaSideAquatics, LLC

Postby SeaSideAquatics, LLC » February 7th, 2018, 1:02 pm

head too small....send to me...hahaha

PinkRules

Postby PinkRules » February 7th, 2018, 2:18 pm

I remember this tosai and her few bulky siblings.

Love the progress she has has made so far. The skin and beni are looking beautiful. Her diakon conformation actually got better as she seems to grew length proportionally. The gamble paid off.

Return to “Koi Education and Evaluation”